What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

List of non-clusterable sensors

Votes:

Hello,

As I'm migrating my XL PRTG to smaller licences for the purpose of redundancy, I have run into a problem, where some of the devices/sensors can't be moved to a clustered probe, because of the restrictions on sensor types. Could you please provide a full list of sensor types that can't be moved to a cluster probe, so I could filter them out before moving.

cluster device failover probe prtg sensor

Created on Oct 27, 2020 8:07:51 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

In general only the "Probe Device" of a other probe can not be moved, other devices and sensors should not be a problem.
Can you please let me know what device you tried to move, what sensors the device had, and what error message you received?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 28, 2020 9:06:22 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I'm trying to move whole group with different kind of devices to my clustered probe, and I always get this error "You cannot move probe related sensors (i.e. netflow,sflow,sniffer,syslog,qos sensors) into a cluster probe".

If I try to clone a smaller group of devices I get this error "Sensors that are bound to probe devices (for example, NetFlow, sFlow, Packet Sniffer, Syslog, or QoS sensors) cannot be cloned into a cluster probe."

If I try to clone or move even lower lever group/device I get same error "You cannot move probe related sensors (i.e. netflow,sflow,sniffer,syslog,qos sensors) into a cluster probe" <- This group/device consists of following sensors: SSH script sensors Ping sensors Port sensors SNMP trap reciever sensor

So one of these is not letting me to move that device

Created on Oct 29, 2020 5:13:14 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the additional information.

The sensor that causes this is the Trap Receiver sensor, since this sensor monitors the trap messages that are being sent to the probe (on which he currently is added). Since sensors on the "Cluster Probe" are monitored by the Master and Failover, sensors that are supposed to receive data on only one system can not be moved. These sensors can also not be added to devices that are on the "Cluster Probe" (those would be the "flow" sensors, HTTP Push sensors, and the Syslog and Trap receiver sensor).

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 30, 2020 11:41:25 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.