What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto Discover of AWS Servers

Votes:

I am currently using auto discover to pull new servers from AWS into our PRTG. This is also adding devices that are not servers that only have an IP address and only get a Ping sensor. I'm not sure what these devices are. They seem to come and go. I can search my instances and they do not show up.

Is there a way of filtering out the devices that don't have DNS names, or maybe deleting them after the discovery is completed. I'm not sure how I would search for devices that only have an IP for a name to remove them from PRTG.

auto-discovery aws prtg

Created on Oct 28, 2020 7:57:23 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Philip,

The Auto Discovery has multiple option how you can address a range of devices. If you don't want to have device which cannot be translated to a DNS name, I recommend to use a list of DNS as target group. Another alternative would also to use the OU from your domain if the target devices are part of one.

Created on Oct 30, 2020 7:26:46 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I opened a ticket with AWS and we figured out that network interfaces has its own section within AWS. Things like databases, load balancers, lambdas, etc use network interfaces even though they are not using a legacy server and they can grab an IP address when required and release them again. Something to be aware of when scanning a subnet in AWS.

Would anyone have a script using the API to remove a device if all it has is an IP address and a ping sensor?

Created on Nov 2, 2020 3:03:21 PM

Votes:

Hi Philip,

Thank you for the feedback.

We have no certain script for this, but I recommend to use the following third party API: https://github.com/lordmilko/PrtgAPI

This API has more options as the native one and should provide all required commands.

Created on Nov 3, 2020 7:30:03 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.