What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Website-Login Check

Votes:

Hi everybody,

this is my first question here, so I hope that I did everything right.

I want to monitor the login on a specific website (moodle). The sensor should try to login with the login credentials. I wanted to use the Advanced HTML Sensor with a Post request.

I followed these instructions (https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/64415-how-can-i-check-if-the-login-authentication-for-a-webpage-works) but it does not work.

My Problem is, that I create the sensor with a wrong password and the sensor says everything is fine.

Kind regards

http-advanced http-post website-authentication

Created on Nov 2, 2020 12:00:13 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the nice feedback.

It's possible that the corresponding keyword is missing and therefore the Sensor does not change its state. You can search for the keyword in the advanced Sensor log which I mentioned in my first reply.

Created on Nov 3, 2020 8:58:31 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for your first post here!

Please check whether the Sensor sends the correct post data and receives the expected response. I would recommend to use the option "Store Last HTML result" to receive more detailed logs. If possible, I would also recommend to check the target webserver whether this server logged successful or failed logins.

Created on Nov 2, 2020 1:59:33 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay, moodle has a logintoken, that changes everytime when you login. Accordingly every login fails.

But why does the sensor says everything is fine?

I checked the logs of the sensor, but I didn't understand it very well.

I am trying to fix the Problem with the token and then I will see, if the sensor still says everything is fine when the login fails.

PS: Thank you for your fast an helpful reply. I wouldn't have figured it out so quickly, if you had told me to check the webserver.

Created on Nov 3, 2020 8:44:27 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the nice feedback.

It's possible that the corresponding keyword is missing and therefore the Sensor does not change its state. You can search for the keyword in the advanced Sensor log which I mentioned in my first reply.

Created on Nov 3, 2020 8:58:31 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.