What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG do all 70-75 min a complete scan on Cisco Switch

Votes:

Hi Pässler Team.

If i do a "debug snmp" on our cisco switches i see that the IP address of our PRTG do a complete snmp scan on all variables. That scan repeats every 70 minutes, and it takes about 6-10 minutes.

I disabled everyting I've found in PRTG.

- Set Sensor Management, Manual (no auto-discovery) - Set Scanning Interval to 12 hours

But still getting complete snmp scans all 70 minutes. Can you please tell me where i can disable these complete snmp scans? Sure i need a scan of power supply, temp, network traffic, etc. but i don't need all the time a complete scan.

Kind regards patrick

auto-discovery scan snmp

Created on Nov 4, 2020 11:44:44 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi Patrick,

Just to check, what is the current state for the Similar Sensor Detection and Recommended Sensors Detection? You can find the options under "Setup | System Administration | Monitoring". Please check whether disabling the options help disabling the scans.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Nov 13, 2020 10:59:44 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sebastian.

Unfortunately, the sacan all still there after I set "Similar Sensor Detection and Recommended Sensors Detection" to Turn Off. Have you another idea why these scans occurs?

Kind regards Patrick

Created on Dec 2, 2020 10:33:06 AM

Votes:

Hi Patrick,

Just to check, are you able to limit the scans by temporarily pausing all relevant sensors in PRTG?

Also please define how monitoring your "power supply, temp, network traffic, etc." differ from a full scan as it appears pretty comprehensive already imho.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 7, 2020 5:48:51 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sebastian.

I now paused the whole switch in PRTG, and still I see SNMP Packet received from PRTG. How can that be possible, as I know if I pause a device PRTG doesn't send traffic to that device, right?

It looks for me like a full scan, because if I monitor the debug snmp packets, i see all 5 seconds a snmp packet. But during al "Full"scan, i see a bunch more packets. And the Processor of the switch goes up to 100 % for about 15 minutes.

Sorry for all that late response but I'm only once per month at the customer site.

Thanks and kind regards Patrick

Created on Jan 19, 2021 1:34:52 PM

Votes:

Hi Patrick,

I don't want to pass the buck to something we didn't consider yet, but if you pause the sensors in PRTG and still see traffic from the IP address of the PRTG Probe, is there anything else that might scan the device?

If not, I'd suggest to raise a normal support ticket with us via email to [email protected] so we can have a closer look at what's going on. Also debug files are much easier provided via email than on our knowledge base.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 27, 2021 8:59:43 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sebastian.

You're right. I didn't know that HP Network Node Manager was installed on the same machine as PRTG runs. I've checked the settings of HP Network Node Manager and saw that it do an inventory all 60 minutes. I've disabled it and now I don't see excessive snmp scans. Thanks for your help, very appreciated.

Kind regards Patrick

Created on Feb 24, 2021 11:41:09 AM

Votes:

Hi Patrick,

This is great news and awesome find. Glad to see that you was able to track down the source of the issue.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 24, 2021 7:02:32 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.