What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Export - edit - import

Votes:

Can I export all my sensors to Excel, then edit them and import them again to overwrite the sensors?

excel export import overwrite

Created on Nov 12, 2020 11:20:04 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message. Can you please describe what you would like to achieve exactly ?

To export a list of sensors, you can use the API of PRTG with the following API request :

https://PRTGSERVER/api/table.xml?content=sensors&output=xml&columns=objid,probe,group,device,sensor,status,message,lastvalue,priority,favorite&count=*&username=PRTGUSER&passhash=PASSHASH

However, I'm afraid that it's not possible to import modified sensors in PRTG. You can create new ones by duplicating existing sensors or applying specific device template. Or simply modify the sensors directly in PRTG via API calls, with the help of the PowerShell module PRTGAPI.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 12, 2020 2:40:13 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 12, 2020 2:41:40 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

With autodiscovery I have filled many groups. In each group are many discovered nodes. But the nodes are presented with their IP address and I want to add extra information. In Excel this is much easier done than in the PRTG webinterface.

So I hoped it would be possible with exporting them, adding info via Excel and then import them again.

Kind regards

Created on Nov 12, 2020 3:14:46 PM

Votes:

Thank you for the information.

Can you please tell me which information you would like to modify/add to the devices/sensors ?

If you want to modify their settings, then I recommend to the the PowerShell module PRTGAPI. You can get the sensors settings by using the cmdlet Get-Sensor | Get-ObjectProperty.

Please, notice that it's not possible to import sensors in PRTG, however as you have their object id, you can execute API calls to modify them.

Have a look to the wiki of the module for more information: https://github.com/lordmilko/PrtgAPI/wiki

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 13, 2020 7:24:51 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

After exporting to excel, I want to change the name of the devices. Now they are presented with the IP address as name. I want to filter in excel on all node address .218 and change the name to: <device type> - <device name> - IP address

And this for all node addresses, because we give devices an IP address, based on the type of device.

Hope this will clear it up :-)

Created on Nov 13, 2020 12:05:51 PM

Votes:

Thank you, it makes it more clear indeed.

Therefore, I invite you to generate the list of devices with the following API call:

https://PRTGSERVER/api/table.xml?content=devices&output=xml&columns=objid,probe,group,device,host&count=*&username=PRTGUSER&passhash=PASSHASH

Then, after having modified the XML file, write a script to modify each device's name in PRTG based on their id. You can use the following API call to do the change:

https://PRTGSERVER/editsettings?id=DEVICE_ID&name_=NEW_NAME&username=PRTGUSER&passhash=PASSHASH

Regards.

Created on Nov 13, 2020 1:23:49 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 13, 2020 1:25:00 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thanks you very much for your time and advice :-)

Created on Nov 13, 2020 1:27:08 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.