What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Inverted Sensor

Votes:

I need to set up a sensor that shows green when an .exe is not running on a VM and then red when the .exe is launched.

Is there a good way to do this?

exe-script-sensor inverse sensor

Created on Nov 17, 2020 1:58:48 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your message.

I'm afraid that we do not have native sensor for it, excepted the WMI Process sensor. However the latter doesn't clearly monitor the status of the process.

Therefore, I recommend you to have a look at this KB article: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/80550-monitor-windows-process-system-exe-throught-snmp

As mentioned in the article above, you can use the SNMP protocol to monitor the exe you desire. To do so, simply add a new SNMP Custom Table sensor, then enter the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2 to get the list of the softwares running.

In the list displayed, select the process you want to monitor and then select the options like on the screenshot below:

SNMP Custom Table sensor

Finally, you should get the status of the service and the sensor will return an error when the process is running.

SNMP Custom Table 2

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2020 3:09:17 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.