What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Create channels from custom SNMP query

Votes:

Hi,

I try to figure out is there a way to convert single snmp query response "00 4D 00 01 00" to five different channels in prtg?

Also would like to know is there way to convert hex to dec (4D => 77 which is temperature value) and use it as primary channels value

custom-sensor prtg snmp

Created on Nov 17, 2020 4:14:48 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid it's not possible to convert the string to different channels. You can however create a sensor for each value and extract each value using RegEx within the sensor settings using the SNMP Custom String Sensor. You can also choose "interpret result as Bytes in hexadecimal notation" here.

Created on Nov 18, 2020 9:04:29 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

But with approach where I create five sensors to handle single data string (which by the way makes automaticly lot's of more money to Paessler...) I have to do five queries to device to get same value and that does not make sense to me to torture device with many "useless" queries.

Another thing what I do not understand is that how can I use extracted value as a Primary channel value instead of Response time? Every way I try to get it as value of graphic display I still get milliseconds... I can get value visible in gauge with priority setting but value is still response time's milliseconds.

Created on Nov 19, 2020 6:33:40 AM

Votes:

Generally, you can use the SNMP Custom Advanced sensor to monitor multiple different values in multiple channels in just one single sensor. However for each value you need to enter one single OID.

Usually in most SNMP implementations a device should only return one specific value for one OID. This is what the SNMP sensors are built for. Returning multiple values or a "data string" within just one single OID is not really common. Also, I wouldn't say "torturing" the device, since SNMP hardly have any performance impact as long as you're not using SNMPv3.

Are you able to extract the value correctly in one channel? You can then change the primary channel using the "pin"-symbol. Also have a look here: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_channels_settings. Feel also free to send us screenshots to [email protected] if you want us to take a closer look.

Created on Nov 19, 2020 12:54:41 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 19, 2020 12:55:18 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well I'm talking about Korean display manufacturers snmp implementation so everything is possible.

In my snmp custom sensor there is only two channels: Downtime and Response Time and only place I can see extracted value of sensor is on top row of sensor (the part which is green/yellow/red and has name of sensor) I have sawn messages where there is also third channel which has sensor value but I do not have such channel available?!? I will send image to support whith this same text so you can see my problem.

Created on Nov 19, 2020 3:11:17 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.