What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Acknowledged alarms and server reboots

Votes:

Hello,

Once per week there is a scheduled server reboots. All our sensors that are down (Advanced exe/script) but acknowledged lose their acknowledged status.

I thought it was because they went throught the "warning", but even when configured to "set to down immediatly" the problem happens.

Here is what happens:

- Sensor is down
- Sensor is down (acknowledged)
- Sensor is paused by dependency (host is down during reboot)
- Sensor is resumed and down immediatly (but not acknowledged anymore)

What should we do to handle this? I'm afraid even a schedule won't work because it sets the sensor to paused for this.

This is really annoying, it means eternal re-acknowledgement of a sensor.

acknowledge pause prtg

Created on Nov 30, 2020 11:14:00 AM

Last change on Dec 1, 2020 6:11:00 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Philippe,

Thank you very much for your question.

Do you trigger the server restart using the scheduling options in the PRTG Administration Tool or with an external job?

If you use an external job, I'd assume that the shutdown occurs that quick so PRTG is not able to properly save the configuration that holds the sensor states? I just tested the behavior in my instance, running PRTG 20.4.64.1402 and the down (acknowledged) sensors kept their states after a restart triggered through PRTG itself.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 3, 2020 3:05:43 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Sorry I'm not talking about PRTG server reboots, but servers that are monitored by PRTG. These servers are rebooted once a week. If a sensor for these servers is down & acknowledged, it loses its acknowledged state after the server reboot (because of the paused/unkown state while they are rebooting).

Created on Dec 3, 2020 3:11:44 PM

Votes:

Hello Philippe,

I don't see a real chance to change this behavior. The restart of a targeted machine results in PRTG trying to re-scan the targeted device accordingly. This is per design and can't be changed. Also the down (acknowledged) state is nothing that we would consider as state for resting from a monitoring system's perspective.
Pausing the sensor indefinitely might the best option in this case.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 3, 2020 3:58:08 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As a work-around you might consider dropping the dependency for these sensors. In that case they will not be paused-by-dependency when the target server reboots and keep their acknowledged state.

Sensors | Multi Channel Sensors | Tools | Notifications

Kind regards,

[[https://prtgtoolsfamily.com]] PRTG Tools Family

Created on Jan 6, 2021 3:15:17 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.