What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My SSL Certificate Sensor - Socket Error # 10049 Cannot assign requested address.

Votes:

I have several site on a server - a few SSL certificates with unique IP's on Windows Web Server 2008 R2

SSL Certificate Sensor reports:

Failed to establish secure connection [Step 0] Socket Error # 10049 Cannot assign requested address.

domain: www.aawtrains.com

10049 cannot-assign-requested-address sslcertexpiration

Created on Dec 6, 2020 9:03:48 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Are there any exposed subdomains on this, other than www? Did you already try to include the SNI name accordingly? Is the DNS name resolved different internally than externally by any chance?

Created on Dec 7, 2020 3:53:17 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes There are subdomains (www) and There are other domains on the server under different IP addresses I included the domain and also tried the subdomain as the SNI DNS resolves the same on the core server as to the world wide web.

Created on Dec 7, 2020 3:57:03 PM

Votes:

When I create a SSL Certificate Sensor on the device, it works properly. Did you by any chance create the Sensor on the probe device, not one with www.aawtrains.com as it's device address?

Created on Dec 8, 2020 10:45:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The site happens to be on the same machine as the prtg core server so it's not really on a remote probe. Do I need to create it on one of my probes so it monitors it from an outside machine?

Created on Dec 8, 2020 3:13:36 PM

Votes:

Usually, creating a new device with www.aawtrains.com as host address should be sufficient. When you ping the address via command line on the server, what's the resolved address?

Created on Dec 9, 2020 7:09:22 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Same .28 address that is specified in IIS for the bindings...

When I create the same sensor on another probe, it does return a result but it's wrong. It reports 7 days instead of over a year:

Actual SSL cert Expires: Sunday, August 28, 2022

Created on Dec 9, 2020 4:36:45 PM

Votes:

Just to make sure - you'd need to use www.awwtrains.com for the virtual SNI host as well, not just www - at least that seems to be what you're using. I've configured it with the full URL and it shows 622d remaining (thumbprint would be 8193F0DF8BF00526F0518DF04D07670B0A9EC09D).

Can you verify that?

Created on Dec 14, 2020 9:26:48 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.