What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device custom properties

Votes:

I found out that there are some placeholders to adjust the notifications / pass arguments to script..

BUT, how can I define my own placeholders for device ?

Imagine Situation, with 2 devices:

• APC PDU Unit
  • IP Camera (power cable connected to APC PDU, outlet #1)

Now, IP Camera has stopped responding, and I want to use PRTG to take an action - execute "notification/script" to reset power on PDU for outlet #1 - So, I need to define some custom attributes/properties for my WIFI:

• PDU IP Address
  • PDU Outlet number Now I want to use these attributes/properties and pass it to script "restart_pdu_outlet.bat" with arguments IP & Outlet_Number. Script will connect to PDU and reset power..

Is it possible in PRTG ?

thanks !

custom device placeholders

Created on Dec 9, 2020 1:13:18 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

In your notification template, you can choose the option to select the option Execute Program. With this you also can use placeholders. You may use the placeholders %host and %device as parameters in your script. To be able to select the script, you will need to store your script on your Core Server in \Notifications\EXE.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Dec 11, 2020 5:11:43 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.