What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG probe password encryption

Votes:

Hi,

I have PRTG version 14.4.12 installed and recently I came across configuration files (.dat) in PRTG Application Data directory. What caught my eye was that password for my windows probe user was encrypted. Does anyone know what type of encryption PRTG uses in these version? I am trying to understand how easy it would be for someone to retrieve the decrypted version of the password.

Nika

password probe prtg windows

Created on Dec 10, 2020 9:31:19 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Nika,

Thank you for your message.

Please, notice that PRTG 14 is an old version that we do not support anymore. Therefore, we recommend to update PRTG to get the latest features as well as security fixes released.

Regarding security, please have a look to this KB article: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/61108-what-security-features-does-prtg-include

Kind regards.

Created on Dec 14, 2020 10:05:44 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.