What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do flow sensors work in a clustered environment?

Votes:

If I understand PRTG clustering properly, each node has an exact copy of the master node's sensor configurations. What happens then with flow or packet collection sensors configured on the master node? If the master node is collecting its own packets, do the failover nodes also need to be collecting packets? How about for netflow exported from a router? Does the netflow exporter need to send the same flows to all nodes in the cluster? What happens on the fail over node if it has a flow sensor configured but does not receive flow data?

clustering custom-sensor flow prtg8

Created on Sep 15, 2010 6:16:28 PM

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 8:21:54 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jim,

Flow Sensors and Packet Sniffers can only be used on the Local Probe of the Master Node or on Remote Probes connected to the Master Node. Failover Nodes cannot be used with such sensors.

Created on Sep 16, 2010 11:49:33 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 8:22:08 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

I'm not sure I understand. A failover cluster node is a clone of the master node, correct? If I configure flow sensors on the master node aren't they also cloned onto the failover node(s)? What do the failover nodes do with these sensors?

In a previous netflow and clustering question on this forum it was indicated that if the master was down for part of a reporting period, a report could instead be generated using the "all nodes" function. This indicates that the failover nodes would have data in their flow sensors but above you indicate that those sensors may note even exist on the failover node.

Can you clarify the situation please?

Created on Sep 16, 2010 1:06:01 PM

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 8:22:27 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.