What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMs showing status down - but they are up

Votes:

Due to recent issue with one of our hosts, we had to place the ESXi to maintenance mode in which all of the VMs were migrated to other hosts, however some of the VMs (not all) are showing warning messages - "The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created" - and the status DOWN (this are sensors on the ESXi hosts)

The VMs are up and showing as up on PRTG, but not within ESXi sensors

Please advise

esxi prtg vm

Created on Dec 15, 2020 3:45:45 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you for the information.

The VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) sensor is indeed able to continue to monitor the virtual machines even when they are migrated on a new host. However, to do so it must be configured on the VCenter and not the hosts.

I'm afraid that there is nothing to do with the existing sensors. You may tried to move them on the device corresponding to the VCenter however they will probably do not work. Therefore, to keep the historical data I invite you to pause them.

Regards.

Created on Dec 18, 2020 2:49:06 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Which sensor(s) are you using ? Are you using them directly on the EXSI hosts ? If that's the case, can you please add them on the VCenter server.

Kind regards.

Created on Dec 18, 2020 12:25:54 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

Our setup is a little strange to say at least, the vCenter is not on site, it is at HQ, so we have sensors of VMs directly on hosts - using the esxservervmsensor.

Even with migration of VMs, the sensor should migrate as well to the host the VM migrated? Now i have 20 red warnings of VMs showing down on that specific host (that is on maintenance mode) but they simply migrated to other hosts, is there anything i can do to force this migration on PRTG?

Created on Dec 18, 2020 2:07:45 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you for the information.

The VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) sensor is indeed able to continue to monitor the virtual machines even when they are migrated on a new host. However, to do so it must be configured on the VCenter and not the hosts.

I'm afraid that there is nothing to do with the existing sensors. You may tried to move them on the device corresponding to the VCenter however they will probably do not work. Therefore, to keep the historical data I invite you to pause them.

Regards.

Created on Dec 18, 2020 2:49:06 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i appreciate your help, i will do as you suggested,

Created on Dec 18, 2020 4:45:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.