What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Retrieve System Information through API

Votes:

I am trying to generate a report of information from PRTG using the API and some of the values I would like to retrieve are on the System Information tab for a device. Does anyone know how I can retrieve this information in the API.

Preferably I would like to be able to add this as a column to my existing query.

api device prtg report system-information

Created on Dec 15, 2020 7:00:33 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

H sikotic,

System Information can technically be retrieved via the API, however the data that is returned is technically not "JSON" (it is an abomination masquerading as JSON :P) so requires significant manipulations in order to convert into something a normal JSON parser will accept. The following illustrates how you would retrieve the "system" System Information category from PRTG

http://prtg.example.com/api/table.json?id=40&content=sysinfo&columns=_key,_value,_id,_adapter,_receivetime,_displayname&catego
ry=system&username=prtgadmin&passhash=12345678

System Information can also be retrieved a lot easier using PrtgAPI, which handles all of the required manipulations for you

C:\> Get-SystemInfo -Id 1001 Hardware

Name                       DeviceId   Class            State   Capacity   SerialNumber
----                       --------   -----            -----   --------   ------------
\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0         1001       DiskDrive        OK
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X...  1001       Processor        OK                 Intel64 Fami...
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter   1001       NetworkAdapter
Microsoft Kernel Debug...  1001       NetworkAdapter
Microsoft Print to PDF     1001       Printer          Unknown

For more information please see the PrtgAPI Wiki

Regards,

lordmilko

Created on Dec 16, 2020 8:11:03 AM

Votes:

Thank you. This is excellent info, I'll start playing around.

Created on Dec 16, 2020 11:39:28 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.