What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Desktop Upgrade

Votes:

After upgrading the server side, i see that the desktop app has a new version available. If I try to upgrade it fails unable to find the prtg_desktop_full_installer.msi. do i have to do something on the server side for existing desktop to find the file?

desktop-application prtg windows

Created on Dec 21, 2020 8:25:01 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried uninstalling the desktop app, and then installing the new version afterwards?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 23, 2020 9:28:16 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, I was prompted from within the application. "would you like to install the new version now?" Yes/No then it continues about 75% and the prompts for the "PRTG_Desktop_Full_installer.msi" it looking to use a file that doesn't exist at c:\programdata\package cache\

Created on Dec 23, 2020 7:00:31 PM

Votes:

i had received the update without any issue, but the desktop app then failed (sort of), it just said 'loading' in the display window forever, and did not display any information, but the fix above worked

Created on Dec 23, 2020 11:28:04 PM

Votes:

i have false alarms for the reason of intermittent connection issues on the probe that usually resolve themselves in short order, the corrective action is clear, but in the mean time i find the email notifications do a great job of filtering the noise

Created on Dec 24, 2020 12:13:52 AM

Votes:

Hi aj,

Since your probe connection issue does not seem to be related to the topic in this KB, please open a support ticket by writing a email to [email protected], or by creating a new KB post.

Kind regards,

Created on Dec 24, 2020 2:01:24 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi totalnet32,

Were you able to uninstall the PRTG Desktop app, and then install the new version?

Kind regards,

Created on Dec 24, 2020 2:02:34 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

aj - I don't see what you are referring to when you mentioned "fix above worked"

Created on Dec 24, 2020 2:21:08 PM

Votes:

that would not solve my issue, I was notified by the desktop install about the new version being availabe and it tried to guide me , it failed. by manually uninstalling and reinstalling would defeat the whole system notification.

Created on Jan 25, 2021 9:07:59 PM

Votes:

Hello totalnet32,

"by manually uninstalling and reinstalling would defeat the whole system notification."--> Can you please explain this more in detail?
Are you not able to uninstall the Desktop app?

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 27, 2021 12:53:06 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.