What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto Naming of Discovered Nodes

Votes:

Another "Coming from SolarWinds" user here.

I'm looking to add 1000's of devices and some of them use specific OID for the name of the device. How do I define this in the AutoDisocery tool? I RTFM but it does not describe with enough detail nor does it provide adequate examples for non-standard equipment. All of this highly proprietary, non-standard equipment you find on an ISP network has been a plague of my existence lately.

If this is not possible, is there a way to script or import via CSV?

api oid snmp

Created on Dec 22, 2020 3:33:11 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Chrisputer,

Beyond writing custom device templates, there isn't really that much you can control about the auto-discovery process. As such, a much better solution would be to develop a script that imports all the data from a CSV as you suggested. You can do this fairly easily using PrtgAPI

The following article from the PRTG Blog will give you a sample script that should be enough to get you started

If you need to create SNMP sensors on these devices you can do so by creating a set of Dynamic Parameters for your desired sensor type and then setting the OID in the sensor parameters (where applicable) before adding the sensors

For more information on using PrtgAPI please see the PrtgAPI Wiki

Regards,

lordmilko

Created on Dec 23, 2020 7:26:04 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.