What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I display the status of excess connections including broadband WAN, LTE WAN, and VPN tunnel?

Votes:

At each of my sites, I have a primary broadband WAN, a failover LTE WAN, and a VPN tunnel. I need a monitoring setup that shows me at a glance the site name, if the site runs on the primary or the failover WAN, and if the VPN tunnel is up or down.

How can I do this? Which sensors do I need?

broadband business-process-sensor lte prtg vpn vpn-tunnel wan

Created on Jan 5, 2021 12:09:04 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Jan 5, 2021 12:09:39 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 21

Monitor various excess connections in a network for each site with the Business Process sensor

1. Create one Ping sensor for each device that represents the broadband WAN, the failover LTE WAN, and the VPN tunnel. Give the Ping sensors a meaningful name including the site name and the connection type, for example, NY-Broadband, NY-LTE, and NY-Tunnel.
  2. Create a Business Process sensor and add the Ping sensors in the Business Process Specific Settings section as follows.
  3. Add a channel that includes the sensors for the primary broadband WAN and the failover LTE WAN connections.
    • Give the channel a meaningful Channel Name, for example, Internet Connection.
    • For the Error threshold, enter 33 (%) and for the Warning threshold, enter 66 (%).
    • Use the object selector to add the sensor for the broadband WAN twice and the sensor for the LTE WAN once. This way, you can give more weight to the broadband WAN sensor regarding a threshold breach.
  4. Add a channel that includes the sensor for the VPN tunnel.
    • Give the channel a meaningful Channel Name.
    • Leave the values for the error and warning thresholds as they are.

Business Process Specific Settings
Click to enlarge.

With this setup, the Business Process sensor changes to the Warning status if the primary broadband WAN is down and the monitored site runs on the failover LTE WAN. If both the primary WAN and the failover WAN are down, the sensor shows the Down status.
If the VPN tunnel is down, the sensor also shows the Down status.

More

Created on Jan 5, 2021 12:41:33 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Jan 5, 2021 1:35:34 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.