What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device Naming

Votes:

I'm having an issue with device naming. I have a bunch of devices added via DNS name but it keeps adding extra info from an OID in the device.

How do I remove this? Example: 504d (UPS.MP11.company.com)

It just needs to be UPS.MP11.company.com

device naming snmp

Created on Jan 5, 2021 8:09:48 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

In your case with thousands of devices to be renamed, I would like to bring PrtgAPI into play.
PrtgAPI is developed by a PRTG user and is not part of PRTG itself, it is not officially supported by Paessler or PRTG Technical Support but provide you with an extensive feature set for PRTG's API.

Comprehensive documentation can be found here.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 8, 2021 8:18:17 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 5, 2022 9:01:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

If I remember correctly, this renaming only occurs during the automatic discovery process. Once the process is complete, you should be able to open the device settings and change the name back to what you want it to be. Are you running device discovery? Or are these devices sitting in an auto-discovery group that's periodically scanning?

Regards, Sean

Created on Jan 6, 2021 12:27:38 PM

Votes:

I am running a discovery. I know that I can rename the devices one by one, but I got 4000 devices to rename. I've also looked into the API, but there's not enough documentation on it for me to figure out how to use it. And it seems VERY dated. 2013 dated. I know that you guys made massive improvements in the last year or two, but I'm only finding ancient knowledgebase info.

Created on Jan 7, 2021 7:02:02 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

In your case with thousands of devices to be renamed, I would like to bring PrtgAPI into play.
PrtgAPI is developed by a PRTG user and is not part of PRTG itself, it is not officially supported by Paessler or PRTG Technical Support but provide you with an extensive feature set for PRTG's API.

Comprehensive documentation can be found here.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 8, 2021 8:18:17 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 5, 2022 9:01:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.