What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[Question] PRTG Notification Template configuration: Amazon SNS

Votes:

Hi all,

We're currently utilizing the AWS SNS Notification Service message but, as those of you that might know, it seems to require an IAM user account. I would like to avoid this by using an IAM role assigned to the EC2 instance instead but I don't know if this is possible as the parameters that are required are:

1. AWS Access Key ID 2. AWS Secret Access Key

I don't know if IAM roles have an AWS Key or Secret Access Key. Does anyone know if it is possible to assign an IAM role and use that instead of the IAM user?

Thanks!

aws notifications prtg sns

Created on Jan 11, 2021 9:57:14 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

According to the documentation from Amazon, IAM Role also provides credentials however, there are temporary and only valid 1 hour from when there are retrieved through the user portal (can be extended to 12 hours).

Therefore, if IAM role works as well, you have to change the credentials in the notification automatically. To do so, you could use the following API call, however notice that we do not provide support for it.

https://PRTGServer/editsettings?id=ID&CREDENTIAL=VALUE&username=PRTGUser&passhash=PASSHASH
Description
PRTGServerPRTG Server IP address or DNS name
IDNotification Template id
CREDENTIALSetting you want to modify: accesskeyid_15 / secretaccesskeyid_15
VALUENew value
PRTGUserAccount name
PASSHASHUser passhash

Regards.

Created on Jan 14, 2021 1:20:13 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.