What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependency for VPN failover connection

Votes:

Hi. We have a lot of fortigate firewalls that we monitor with our PRTG installation. Recently we have implemented failover vpn configuration. There are 2 vpn tunnels to another firewall over 2 different interfaces. The secondary tunnel will only go active when the primary tunnel goes down. This happens automatically. In prtg I have two traffic sensors that monitor the vpn tunnels. But the secondary is normally down and will be shown as down. (this is correct). Can I make a dependency between those two traffic sensors? I want the secondary vpn tunnel sensor paused when the primary is up and vice versa.

Thanks.

dependency snmp-traffic vpn-tunnel

Created on Jan 12, 2021 6:41:47 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding what you would like to achieve, the dependencies can't be used otherwise you will get both sensors in down and paused state respectively.

However, you have the possibility to execute a custom script (via a notification template) to make 2 API calls:

• Pause the current sensor
  • Resume the sensor for the second tunnel (and vice-versa)

You need then to create 2 notifications templates, one for the first VPN tunnel and an other for the second tunnel. You will find the API calls to resume/pause a sensor right here: Pausin/Resuming (API)

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Jan 12, 2021 2:35:11 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 12, 2021 2:35:44 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.