What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependencies for Device/Ping and other sensors?!

Votes:

Hello, Can you help me with Dependencies setup, please ?

I have 2 hosts in this example :

• Switch 10.10.10.1 with Ping Sensor
  • Camera 10.10.10.2 with Ping and SNMP sensor

I want:

• When Camera ping is down, pause SNMP sensor (simply all remaining sensors) and fire notification for ping down status
  • When switch is down, pause all Camera`s sensors

I tried:

• Device Camera 10.10.10.2 > Settings > Dependencies > select object and choose Switch > Ping
  • After this step, I can see in dependency tree that it`s configured correctly
  • Now - I want to set Camera PING as a master object for Parent (so all other sensors depends on it, as per documentation)
  • BUT This overwrites my previous dependency for device (I lost topology)

The only workaround I found:

• Set Device Camera dependency on Switch > Ping
  • Set camera Ping dependency to "Use Parent" (switch >Ping)
  • Set manually dependencies for all remaining sensors to depend on Camera > Ping

I am just wondering if there is any other simple way to do this? I can`t imagine to do this manually for NAS with x HDDs, to setup manually dependency for each HDD sensor..

Thanks for any help here !

dependency ping topology

Created on Jan 14, 2021 10:32:06 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

In PRTG, you can configure an object to be dependent or an other one only, and therefore only pause all the sensors of the device based on its Ping sensor or the one of the switch, but not both.

However, you have the possibility to make all cameras dependent of the Ping sensor of the switch. To do so, simply create a group on which you put the devices (cameras), and then configure the group to depend on the switch. Then, when the switch goes down, all cameras are paused as illustrated on the following screenshot:

Dependencies

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Jan 14, 2021 3:01:37 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

thanks for your answer, but now - How can I achieve that when switch is up, and just a camera is down, HTTP/SNMP sensor is in paused state and Ping is down ?

I was able to manage this but had to manually set dependency for each non-ping sensor (depend on ping). When I set ping to "Master of parent", then I lost previous dependency on switch.

thanks !

Created on Jan 15, 2021 8:49:51 AM

Votes:

Thank you for your feedback.

To make it simple, I will take the names of the devices in my previous screenshot as example.

Camera 1 and Camera 2 have both Ping sensor defined as Master, and therefore when they go in down state, the other sensors (set to "Use Parent" by default via inheritance) will automatically be paused. In each device settings (Camera 1 & 2), you should see their Ping sensor defined under Dependency.

Then, the group Cameras needs to be dependent on the Ping sensor of the switch to pause all the devices in that group when the sensor goes down.

Here is the corresponding dependencies tree:

Dependencies Tree

Regards.

Created on Jan 15, 2021 9:01:19 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 15, 2021 9:02:39 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi again and thanks for very quick response !

I am really confused by this part "Ping sensor defined as master", can u bring some light here please ? In a documentation I found just a section "Dependencies > Master for parent"

What I did:

• Completely removed my previous group and created a new one
  • Went to Group > Settings > Dependencies > Set to use object Switch>ping
  • Add new device in new group, add Ping sensor and set dependency to "Master for parent"
  • Added few extra sensors - no change in settings

This leads into very strange results:

• When Device itself is down (disconnected camera), All sensors including Ping will shown as "paused by dependency", I have no idea how to bring them up again. Camera is connected, switch is connected but Sensors are still paused by dependency.. Looks that they are in some loop ?!

We use PRTG v 19.1.48.2929 - Maybe this is the problem ?

Created on Jan 15, 2021 10:14:01 AM

Votes:

Thank you for the information.

The version is indeed probably the reason why dependencies do not behave like the configuration I provided above. We have improved the dependencies many times in the new releases. Therefore, I can only invite you to update PRTG to be able to take advantage of the latest improvements/fixes.

You will find them in our release page here: https://www.paessler.com/prtg/history/prtg-19#19.4.54.1506

Regards.

Created on Jan 15, 2021 10:42:27 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.