What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor PtP tunnels in Watchguard

Votes:

I need to monitor a group of tunnels that I have against some providers. The tunnels are established by a Watchguard M370 firewall, I can't specifically find a sensor and I already tried the MIBs that the website of this provider tells me. How could I make a sensor that allows me to see that the pairs are active at the ends of the tunnel?

ipsec-tunnel-monitoring prtg watchguard

Created on Jan 19, 2021 5:39:24 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your KB-post.

Kindly note that PRTG does not have any built-in sensors designated for Watchguard firewalls.

Have you tried using the MIB within our "SNMP Library Sensor"?

Created on Jan 21, 2021 10:38:32 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, I already used several MIBs that I downloaded from the Watchguard page, but since the creation of the sensor by the SNMP library I selected several options from the MIBS but none of them gave information about the peers

Created on Feb 2, 2021 5:31:56 PM

Votes:

Hello Hermes,

Thank you for your reply.

Kindly note that PRTG just displays SNMP data that is getting from the target device.

Please check with the vendor of the firewall if any other MIB is suitable for monitoring of data about the peers.

Created on Feb 3, 2021 6:30:53 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

After much testing, I got a MIB provided by Watchguard called WATCHGUARD-IPSEC-ENDPOINT-PAIR-MIB with ODI 1.3.6.1.4.1.3097.5.1.1.2.1.1 (wgIpsecEndpointPairIndex)

that is alarmed in case all the tunnels within the IPsec are inactive

Configure the sensor so that it will be alarmed if a long time passes in which a tunnel was not active and this based on its normal behavior. With this practice I was able to solve the need. The only bad thing is that it does not indicate the name of the pair so you have to knock down the IPsec so that it will be alarmed and be able to register the name of it.

Created on Apr 23, 2021 2:28:06 PM

Votes:

Hello Hermes,

Thank you for sharing your solution!

Created on Apr 26, 2021 7:26:07 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Hermes,

Thank you for sharing your solution!

Created on Apr 26, 2021 7:26:08 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.