What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ITOps Board - Adding Users/Groups to Roles from Trusted Domains

Votes:

Hi there,

we have setup ITOps Board on top of a number of PRTG Network Monitors however this server is located in a resource AD Forest which our users do not log into directly. There are multiple separate user Domains, some of which are children of the top-level Resource Domain Forest (from which Users and Groups can be found). No trusted foreign Forest or Domain search returns results, although the server natively can happily locate them e.g. to add to local Groups at the server. It does not appear Local Groups are usable either.

I'm wondering how the lookup is effected, as I can see established ldap/389 connections to Domain Controllers from the ITOps server, but no mechanism to configure this for multiple or different locations. Any configuration I have tried within IIS does not seem to get this working, aside from allowing/blocking the mechanism to automatically log-in through the browser with logged-in credentials.

Is this possible to achieve? Many thanks!

itops-board ldap prtg prtg-kbtracker

Created on Jan 26, 2021 6:42:40 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

For clarification, if I understand you correctly, you cannot add domain user groups in your ITOps Board since the board cannot find the AD user groups in the child-domains of the top-level resources domain where the ITOps server is located?

Created on Jan 28, 2021 7:13:31 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there Moritz, thanks for the reply... not quite. We can find users and groups in the Forest top-level Domain -and- any sub-Domain of that parent, however any Domain participating in an Active Directory Trust with that Forest does not return any results; have searched using DOMAIN\username, UPN, etc. to no avail. It also seems to be the case that users nested from foreign trusted Domains into Groups in the searchable Forest does not work either.

Cheers, Chris

Created on Jan 28, 2021 9:23:53 AM

Votes:

Hi there -- have just found the answer, and in the end was really simple :)

On the IIS website, in the Application Settings, change ad.scan_trusted_domains value to true.

Job done!

Created on Jan 28, 2021 3:32:50 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback and that you shared your solution!

I wish you a nice day!

Created on Jan 29, 2021 6:54:39 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.