What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why are Preview releases not updated with Release versions?

Votes:

I'm generally on the Preview release as I like testing stuff but a few times over the years noticed that you'll push out a new Release version but the Preview channel remains oblivious only showing the older version. I have to manually switch back to the Release channel to check if it's newer than the Preview I have installed. Today that was the case.

Why do you not also push the newer Release version to Preview so that it at least doesn't become older?

preview release software-update

Created on Jan 27, 2021 9:26:55 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

In general, the latest available preview version includes the same content as the following stable release. For example, 21.1.65.1744 [Preview] from January 20 is basically the same version as 21.1.65.1767 [Stable] from January 26. The difference in the build number (the fourth number in the version number, here .1744 and .1767) is because the preview build and the stable build come from different development branches, so when we promote a preview version to stable we get a new build with a higher build number.

We use the first preview build (here 21.1.65.1667) of a new “major” version (here .65) to run our extensive tests for this version and fix the findings before we release it as stable. And usually we also release the preview with these fixes in advance. This is not always the case, though, but in most cases, and depends a bit on the individual scenario. New features and improvements are always the same for one major version in both release channels.

The release notes of the preview channel might be a bit confusing here. On the one hand, fixes for newly introduced issues that only affect the preview do not appear in the stable release notes. This is simply because such test findings never made it into a stable version and as such are not a change to the previous stable version. On the other hand, some entries of one preview major version might appear twice, in the first preview release and in the following preview release(s) of one major version. This is simply for technical reasons.

Regards.

Created on Jan 28, 2021 12:23:49 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.