What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

MQTT Statistics reporting different values in PRTG 21.1.65

Votes:

We upgraded to PRTG 21.1.65 from the most recent stable release before that, and we noticed a big change in the statistics values reported by the MQTT Statistics sensors. Both message counts and payload size went down by a factor of 10x to 20x. After reviewing, the new numbers appear to be correct, and the old numbers were incorrect. I saw an improvement listed in the change log for the MQTT Statistics sensor, but not a bug fix. Was there a fix made to this sensor which corrects values reported, or something else that would account for the value changes without any changes in settings? Note, we are not using a wildcard like # or + in our topic name, since it wasn't supported prior to this version.

bug decrease mqtt statistics

Created on Feb 10, 2021 2:20:50 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

One more update... The cloning or recreating of MQTT Statistics sensors turned out to be only a temporary fix. PRTG has since confirmed this is a bug, and they have provided a hotfix which we are currently testing (so far, so good!) If everything checks out, I'm told the fix is expected to be included in PRTG version 21.1.68.

So for anyone else having this problem, either be patient for the fix, or contact PRTG support for the hotfix (available for 21.1.65 and 21.1.66.)

Created on Mar 31, 2021 7:53:05 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello, we don't have any reported bug fixes for the MQTT sensor, but the whole sensor has certainly been improved in the latest version.

Created on Feb 15, 2021 6:42:30 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

I worked with Paessler technical support on this and we found that recreating the sensors monitoring the same MQTT topics resulted in sensors that reported correct values, while the previously created sensors continued to report the incorrect inflated values. We also found that using the "Clone" action on the original MQTT Statistics sensors to create new sensors also fixes the problem - the new copies created report correct values.

So, the simple fix was to clone all the MQTT Statistics sensors and remove the old sensors. So far, everything has been reporting correctly since we did this.

I just wanted to share our experience in case it helps someone else! And thanks to Sasa on the PRTG Technical Support team for helping to sleuth this out with us!

Created on Feb 19, 2021 1:27:03 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

One more update... The cloning or recreating of MQTT Statistics sensors turned out to be only a temporary fix. PRTG has since confirmed this is a bug, and they have provided a hotfix which we are currently testing (so far, so good!) If everything checks out, I'm told the fix is expected to be included in PRTG version 21.1.68.

So for anyone else having this problem, either be patient for the fix, or contact PRTG support for the hotfix (available for 21.1.65 and 21.1.66.)

Created on Mar 31, 2021 7:53:05 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.