What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I don't understand "Notification Contacts", help!

Votes:

I understand users and their associated email address relative to managing notifications. What if I want to add a "Notification Contact" and them use that for notifications of someone that does not need a user ID, they just need the notification email's for a failed sensor. If I create a new Notification Contact, I can't figure out how to use that notification contact in notification template or even add the contact to a group to more easily manage notifications. I must be missing something in my understanding. Please help enlighten me.

group notification-contact notification-template

Created on Feb 10, 2021 7:41:53 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Each user has it's own "Notification Contacts" where the ways he can be contacted are entered (email, phone number, push device). You can enter multiple email addresses in the notification contacts of a user, and he will then receive a notification in each of them. You could enter here the addresses of multiple users. In the "Notification Template" you then only have to select that this user account should receive the notifications.

A other way to send a notification to users without a account is to enter their email addresses in the "Send to Email Address" filed of the notification template.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 12, 2021 12:56:13 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, that makes since. One follow up question, why can I add a Notification Contact? This is what ultimately confused me. It seems you give me the option of adding a Notification Contact independent of a user, and then I cannot use this orphaned Notification Contact anywhere.

Created on Feb 16, 2021 5:46:18 PM

Votes:

A admin in PRTG can change the "Notification Contacts" for any user.

"It seems you give me the option of adding a Notification Contact independent of a user, and then I cannot use this orphaned Notification Contact anywhere."

Notification contacts are always set for a specific user. The "Notification Contacts" tab is only available when you edit a user account. The "Notification Contacts" that you can access by going to Setup>Account Settings>Notification Contacts, are the ones from the user that is currently logged in into PRTG.
So if you set some contact information for a user, you can use it by selecting that user in the "Notification Template" (option "Send to User").

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 17, 2021 7:41:01 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 17, 2021 7:41:32 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.