What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Hex-STRING interpretation in PRTG

Votes:

HPLJ2055dn printer return hrPrinterDetectedErrorState via SNMP OID = .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.5.1.2.1 which type is 'Hex-STRING' (typically 1 byte long represented by two octets) and interpreted as field of bits. The first idea to use my custom XML lookup file (with 'BitField' tags), and 'SNMP Custom String Lookup' sensor, but that sensor return me wrong value (' ' instead of sexadecimal string like '00' for example).

What is the right way to get proper value from hexadecimal strig typed SNMP OID ? And what is the optimal way to interpret each bit of it?

Thanks for answers.

bitfield bitmask hex-value hp oid printer prtg snmp

Created on Feb 18, 2021 10:20:53 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,
I would recommend to use a SNMP Custom String sensor. The sensor can handle the result as bytes in hexadecimal notation.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Feb 19, 2021 9:39:21 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, Felix. But which way to convert extracted hexadecimal string to integer value (for purpose of further custom lookup with 'BitField' tags)? 'Extended Processing' with REGEXP '\d' extract only 0-9 digits from number, not hexadecimal. And what radio switch 'Interpret Result As' option can be used?

Created on Feb 19, 2021 10:04:19 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

I would recommend to take a look here. This might help your request.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Feb 24, 2021 8:34:40 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.