What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Service Scheduled Restart

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to suggest an improvement in the PRTG administration tool.

There should be the possibility, to schedule the restart of the core/probe services, in a day that we can match with the windows patching day.

For example, if we plan our patch day for the 3rd Saturday of the month we could be able to schedule a restart of the services in the 3rd Sunday of the month. Available options should be: 1st Monday of the Month, 2nd Monday of the Month, 3rd Monday of the Month, 4th Monday of the Month and so on...

In my case I have a lot of WMI sensors and whenever the monitored servers are restarted due to patch day, most of the WMI stop responding. The solution is to restart the probe service.

Thanks,

add-feature administration feature-request improve-prtg improvement-request prtg-administration-tool

Created on Mar 3, 2021 12:01:47 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Joao,

Thank you for your feature request.

Regarding your servers which are patched at a specific period, you have the possibility to pause the sensors/device(s)/group(s) by using the API of PRTG instead of restarting the probe, which would not disable the alerts from your WMI sensors.

Then, with a script executed as a scheduled task, you can pause the corresponding devices automatically. Please, find more information in this KB article as well as in the manual of the API here: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/object_manipulation#pause_resume

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Mar 4, 2021 1:02:56 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.