What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Folder Sensor monitoring - path contains spaces

Votes:

I tried to set up a sensor for a folder today. The path to the folder contains several spaces, e.g.
c:\program files\microsoft shared\logs

In PRTG monitor the folder was not detected: The folder doesn't exist (Code: PE032).

I also tried to put the folder in quotes, which gave the same result. Is it possible that a space can contain? Thanks and regards Andreas

folder-sensor prtg snmp

Created on Mar 3, 2021 2:32:51 PM

Last change on Mar 18, 2021 7:06:26 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Andreas,

Yes, you can monitor a folder that has spaces in its name using our Folder Sensor. The issue here is something else, so allow me to share you my approach whenever I want to use this sensor type.

1. Identify the Probe that you want to add the sensor to. Do you want to add the sensor to your Local Probe (Core Server) or a Remote Probe.

2. Connect to the host machine of the desired Probe and open a "Run-Command" (Windows+R).

3. Check if you can access the folder from the host machine of the Probe. For this I usually check the following command: \\%computer\c$\My Test Folder

• Replace %computer with the actual hostname of the targeted machine that has the Folder (FQDN preferred).
  • c$ (as well as d$, e$, ...) are hidden shares of the partitions which are enabled per default
  • You should see a Folders list as soon as you've entered ...\c$\ if your credentials are already sufficient

4. You should be able to access the folder without any authentication prompt. In case you being asked, use a sufficient authorized user account to open the folder in Windows.

5. Open PRTG, navigate to the Probe on which you did the tests and add a new device. The device address should match your tests (so in our example %computer). Scroll down to Credentials for Windows Devices and make sure to either have the user account in place that you've used for your tests.

6. Add the Folder Sensor to your device. The Folder Name is c$\My Test Folder

This should be it. If you made sure that you can access the desired folder outside of PRTG without any authentication issues, the sensor should work immediately.
You can also use publicly shared folders instead of c$, but then you need to share the folder on the computer first.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Mar 5, 2021 9:08:46 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 5, 2021 9:17:29 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sebastian, thanks for your answer. The steps you described below are now working properly. Best regards Andreas

Created on Mar 18, 2021 2:32:03 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.