What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to Copy Data Files and Custom Files from PRTG Data Directory

Votes:

Dear Community,

I am trying to create a vm and want to restore PRTG backup from Windows Serever 2012 to Windows Server 2019. In below link, I am having issue at step 3 to step5. I am creating the mIgration plan to restore current PRTG configuration on new widnows server 2019. The steps Where Ia m stuck are mentioned below:

Step 3: Find the local PRTG data directory Step 4: Copy the data files to the PRTG data directory of the target system Step 5: Copy your custom files to the PRTG program directory of the target system

And here is the link to the above mentioned steps: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/88205-how-can-i-move-or-migrate-a-prtg-installation-to-a-different-system-or-server#reply-306921

As you can see It says Local PRTG Data Directory. But what files like Data Files and Custome Files do I need to copy as I am unable to differentiate them.

Here is the Path: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor

In my PRTG configuration I can see multiple files like -PRTG Configuration.dat -PRTG Configuration.old -PRTG Graph Data Cache.dat and many other folders.

Please help me out.

Thanks.

migration prtg windows-2012-r2 windows-2019

Created on Mar 25, 2021 8:00:39 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The PRTG Data folder by default located under "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor" contains all the monitoring data (logs, historic data, tickets, reports, etc.) as well as the configuration of your PRTG server. The content of this folder must be copied on the new server (in the same folder) if you want to keep this data.

Regarding the custom files, these are the files you imported in the installation path of PRTG ("C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor"), such as scripts/templates/lookups/oidlib files, etc. If you have some of these files, then you have to import them as well on the new server, otherwise you will get errors due to file(s) missing.

Generally, all the custom files are located in the following folders:

• Custom sensors
  • Lookups
  • devicetemplates
  • snmplibs
  • mapobjects (under webroot, if you created new map objects)

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Mar 26, 2021 7:10:55 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.