What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Logfiles

Votes:

I have a 1TB of space for my logs, and even with shortening the length of time held, the space is still filling and is currently down to 2% left. How best to free up some space?

data-storage logs prtg

Created on Apr 20, 2021 2:10:54 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Can you please provide us the configuration under Setup > System Administration > Core & Probes > Historic Data Purging (/systemsetup.htm?tabid=4). There you can define how long you want to keep the log files as well as monitoring data before they are purged by PRTG.

Here is the corresponding manual: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/probes_settings

If you have Syslog Receiver sensors, I also invite you to reduce the period of time syslog messages are kept. To do so, simply decrease the number of the Purge Messages After setting.

If you have further questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Apr 21, 2021 7:59:42 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 21, 2021 8:01:35 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here are my settings as requested.

Historic Data Purging
Logfile Records: 30
Web Server Log Records: 30
Historic Sensor Data: 60
Toplist Records: 30
Closed Tickets: 180
Reports: 280
Configuration Auto-Backups: 365
Screenshots of HTTP Full Web Page Sensor: 10

Created on Apr 23, 2021 11:51:14 AM

Last change on Apr 23, 2021 12:46:50 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply.

The configuration looks ok therefore I invite you to check which folder under "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor" takes space. You can use a tool such as WinDirStat to do so.

Have you checked as well if you use Syslog Receiver sensors, and if so their settings ?

Regards.

Created on Apr 23, 2021 12:55:53 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What specifically am I looking for at the Syslog sensors? I do have a lot of them.

Created on Apr 23, 2021 2:07:16 PM

Votes:

I had thought of bringing down the Closed Tickets, Reports, and Auto-backup numbers for space freeing.

Created on Apr 23, 2021 2:09:02 PM

Votes:

I had thought of bringing down the Closed Tickets, Reports, and Auto-backup numbers for space freeing

If you don't need to keep them as long as currently defined in the settings, then of course you can reduce the values.

What specifically am I looking for at the Syslog sensors? I do have a lot of them.

The Syslog Receivers sensors can produce a lot of messages that PRTG stores on the disks, therefore I invite you to reduce the value of the Purge Messages After property in their Settings tab. This will allow you to reduce the disk space usage.

You have the possibility to modify the setting for all the Syslog Receiver sensors at once, by using the multi-edit feature under Sensors > By Type > S.. > Syslog Receiver.

Multi-Edit

Regards.

Created on Apr 23, 2021 2:23:01 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 23, 2021 2:23:24 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Using the WinDirStat toll you recommended, I see to sensors under the Syslog database chewing up most of the space. I managed to find one of the two sensors and lowered the number of days to hold data. How can I search on sensor IDs to find the second?

Created on Apr 23, 2021 2:43:45 PM

Votes:

Hi,

To search a sensor by its id, you can use the search bar located at the top right corner of the web interface, as illustrated below:

Search bar

Best.

Created on Apr 26, 2021 5:49:48 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.