What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Compare a message with a reference sensor

Votes:

Hi everyone

I have a question about the sensor with an OID from a FortiGate firewall. The OID was read from the "Paessler MIB Inporter". A sensor was then created with this OID (SNMP custom string).

The current firmware is then displayed as a message, which is also good. But now I would like to compare this message with a "reference sensor" so that I receive a message directly whether this firmware is valid or not.

For example, as a message we receive the message "v6.4.3,build1778,201021 (GA)".

Is it possible to set parameters that then mark the sensor as Up or Down?

If this is not possible, how could this string be checked?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind Regards OSL

message oid reference

Created on Apr 21, 2021 8:10:14 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding what you would like to achieve, I'm afraid that this is not possible to compare the version with an other sensor in a native way. However, you can do so by getting the message of both sensors with a script executing the API call below:

/api/table.json?content=sensors&columns=objid,name,probe,device,message&count=*&filter_objid=SENSORID&username=PRTGUSER&passhash=PASSHASH

The script can be executed with the EXE/Script or EXE/Script Advanced sensor.

I invite you to have a look to this manual which explains how to return data in PRTG via custom sensors: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/custom_sensors

You also have the possibility to create a script which will update the version contained in the message of the reference sensor in the Response Must Include (Down Status If Not Included) setting of the sensor message you want to check. Then, if the string (sensitive case) doesn't match, the sensor will goes in Down state.

To do so, you have to use the following API call :

/api/setobjectproperty.htm?id=SENSORID&name=includemust&value=TEXT&username=PRTGUSER&passhash=PASSHASH

Before using the API calls, replace SENSORID, PRTGUSER and PASSHASH according to your configuration.

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Apr 21, 2021 9:56:55 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.