What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor packet loss on two different internet links?

Votes:

hello to the whole community

I am looking to perform a packet loss monitoring to the internet by two totally different providers. I have the possibility to connect my server where the PRTG is to both links since I have 2 NICs that allow me to connect it to both providers.

Is there a way to force a ping sensor to either of the two server interfaces? Let me explain, if I want to measure the loss of packets towards the internet by Provider1 I have a sensor that comes out through my NIC1 and if I want to measure the loss of packets in Provider2 that another ping sensor comes out through my NIC2.

In case you cannot do this configuration, what recommendation can you make?

nic packet-loss ping

Created on Apr 23, 2021 2:18:54 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

At the "Probe Settings for Monitoring"-tab of your Admin-Tool you can select which IP the Probe will use for all monitoring requests. This IP will be used by all sensors. It's not possible to use two sensors with two different NICs underneath the same Probe I'm afraid. The only option would be by using a additional Remote Probe for the second ping sensor.

Created on Apr 27, 2021 11:16:18 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.