What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG - Best way to monitor scaled machines

Votes:

We use auto-scaling in Amazon (AWS) to scale-out new machines (or scale back) depending on CPU load. The machines that auto-scale out receive a known IP address from a pool of IPs. So I know all potential IPs. There is always 1 server running but if CPU load is heavy it would auto scale to 2 or 3 or up to 6 machines.

If I add each machine as a device in PRTG, I'll see critical warnings because the machines aren't always UP. Typically 1 or 2 will be up. They're only UP based on current CPU load. So I don't want to receive warnings/e-mails/texts once a scaled machine scales back down (turns off). I'm trying to figure out how to cleanly monitor machines that may or may not be present at a given moment: 2 machines may be up but all 6 could be up too for a while while the load is heavy.

I'm not sure if some sort of scripting or flag file could be used. Or maybe PRTG can be told to "pause" monitoring when a machine scales back down (off).

I'm sure others must have encountered this scenario while trying to monitor scaled instances.

auto-scale prtg scale snmp

Created on Apr 28, 2021 8:56:03 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Turns out that at this moment PRTG does not have this ability to be pause automatically for the scaled instances.

Hope that clarifies your question/concern.

Created on Apr 29, 2021 10:09:49 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

I'm aware PRTG doesn't have a native method to pause automatically for scaled instances. I would think other clients using the product would have come up against the same scenario (scaled machines) I'm trying to resolve. It requires a bit of thinking outside the box to script / construct a solution. I'm looking for those people who have done this already to reply to the thread.

Created on Apr 30, 2021 2:29:17 PM

Votes:

Hi, any update on this? I'm on the same situation. I want to monitor a pool of auto scaled VMs and track performance for each one. Being agentless in that situation is a little bit tricky. Any thoughts?

Created on Mar 29, 2022 12:48:38 PM

Votes:

Hi Marcelo,

Unfortunately this is still not possible with PRTG.

Best regards,

Miguel Aikens

Created on Mar 31, 2022 9:48:55 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi, any update on this please? same situation here...

Created on Jul 25, 2023 6:40:01 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.