What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor for pinging a defined IP from cisco router

Votes:

what i am trying to do-

Create a ping sensor from Cisco router A > IP of Cisco Router B

So i have added my cisco router as a device and that works. I have added the SSH creds for the router in the settings of the device.

I go to set up a remote ping SSh sensor, and have tried all the different settings, Sudo user, Old SSH protocol. nothing works. After the sensor sets up. about 2 minutes later you get "failed to create shell" if i increase the shell time out i just get shell timed out error.

There has to be a way to do this? Maybe im missing something?

Basically we lost communication between these two routers the other day. on router A it was getting a mac address but no IP from router B. Router B was showing everything was fine. But router A could not ping router B. ended up being a negotiation thing.

but if somehow i had a sensor that SSH's to router A and runs a ping to the destination IP of router B. I would have spent 4 less hours on the phone figuring it out.

any help is appreciated.

cisco cisco-router cisco-switch ping-sensor remote-ping ssh

Created on May 14, 2021 7:44:39 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

The SSH Remote Ping Sensor should be the sensor you are looking for. In order to use the sensor, you need to be able to connect to Router A using SSH.

Are you able to open a SSH connection manually to Router A (from your PRTG Server) using the same credentials as configured in PRTG? How long does that take?

Created on May 17, 2021 8:00:30 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes i can SSH just fine using putty that is the odd thing. Not sure what i am doing wrong.

When i try to create the sensor using the remote ping sensor, it just says failed to create shell. I am 1000% sure that my login info and settings are correct. Which is why it is throwing me off why it wont work. It doesn't even try to run the sensor. unless that is what failed to create shell means.

Created on May 17, 2021 2:48:12 PM

Votes:

In this case, could you contact us directly via Mail at [email protected] or using the PRTG internal form and send us the following, so we can take a closer look at the issue?

1) A Support Bundle containing the log files of PRTG
2) Please go to the settings of the sensor and activate the "Store Result" option. After one scanning interval, additional sensor log files will be created on the corresponding probe under "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\sensors" (Result of Sensor XXX.Data.txt and Result of Sensor XXX.txt)
3) A screenshot of your sensor settings

Thanks!

Created on May 17, 2021 4:21:52 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i just have the free account so i can send that in, but didnt think i could get support. are there any other tips you have ? im reading that this should all work.

Can you confirm that if i wanted to do a ping from Router A to Router B, the remote SSH sensor is the sensor to use ? does that sensor just use the PRTG server to ssh into Router A and then does a ping command, and then reports back?

Created on May 17, 2021 4:38:22 PM

Votes:

any other suggestions ? I can work on getting that together. i sent an email. but i feel like there is something missing here.

Created on May 17, 2021 5:20:41 PM

Votes:

Yes, exactly. All the SSH Remote Ping Sensor does is to open a SSH connection (PRTG Server > Router A) and then sending a ping (Router A > Router B). In general this should work, if you can open the SSH connection. If this isn't working, we might get further hints with the files mentioned above. If you can send us those via mail, we will reach out to you directly.

Created on May 18, 2021 12:15:44 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just ran into the same issue... Have you managed to sort it out? If so, what was the solution, please? Thanks!

Created on Aug 30, 2021 8:29:00 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.