What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

EXEXML sensor channel <Warning> question

Votes:

Hello,

I return the following JSON:

{"Prtg":{"Text":"There are some problems","Result":[{"Channel":"Cameras Errors","Value":4,"LimitMode":1,"LimitMaxError":0}]}}

This works fine and the whole sensor is in error.

Sometimes tho I just want to put the sensor in warning state, this is what I tried:

{"Prtg":{"Text":"There are some problems","Result":[{"Channel":"Cameras Errors","Value":4,"LimitMode":1,"LimitMaxError":0,"Warning":1}]}}

This does not work (the channel remains in error even tho I set "Warning" to 1. It only works if I also set the "Value" to "0".

Is this the only way?

I know that once the channel is created I cannot change the "LimitMaxError" value etc, and I cannot script the sensor channel limits based on a schedule, it really has to be within the XML answer.

custom-sensor exexml prtg

Created on May 20, 2021 1:29:55 PM

Last change on May 20, 2021 1:33:15 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

What would be useful is able to use a global <Warning> like we have for <Error>.

Created on May 20, 2021 1:35:47 PM

Votes:

Hello Phillippe,

the warning status can only be triggered with a limit or lookup. The first difference to <Error> is that the error overrides the data, while a sensor with warning still shows data. The other difference is that a sensor normally takes the worst status of any channel, but additionally there can be an error even with no channel in error (as the scanning entirely was not successful.)

Hence a different method is used to set the sensor to error, or warning.

Created on May 24, 2021 9:16:50 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Does that mean that the Simple EXE sensor actually can do something that the Advanced EXE cannot?

In the simple sensor I can just tell that the whole sensor status is "Warning" or "Error", with the advanced sensor I can only set channel limits or the whole sensor in error.

The behavior I'd like is this:

I monitor camera errors, I have set a LimitMaxErrors to 0 because I want it to be on error when at least one camera is down.

But, there are some scenarios where these cameras being down is expected, e.g the first 15 minutes it's not an error yet. So, for 15 minutes I'd like to return "warning" instead. I cannot use the "Set sensor to warning for 5 intervals then down" because that does not work witg sensors with channel limits.

Right now it seems my only choices are: - Switch to a simple sensor. - Use LimitMaxWarning with negative values and return a negative value when there is a warning - Set value to 0 and use <Warning>

Created on May 25, 2021 6:44:48 AM

Votes:

You can also flag any channel with <Warning>1</Warning>. It still is a channel setting, while <Error> affects the whole sensor.

Created on May 25, 2021 12:19:01 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You can also flag any channel with <Warning>1</Warning>. It still is a channel setting, while <Error> affects the whole sensor.

Created on May 25, 2021 12:19:02 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.