What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Cluster - Failover Node Email

Votes:

I have a PRTG working as Master and Failover. Both the PRTG nodes are operational in 2 separate locations. Both the PRTG have access to Internet, but PRTG nodes(Master and Failover) are not connected through Internet, rather through a dedicated MPLS link.

Now the scenario is, if the internet connection at Master PRTG's end stops working, we do not get any email from Master, which is obvious, but since the cluster sensor between the Master and Failover Node remains up, as they are reachable through MPLS link, the Failover node does not become Master and we don't receive any email. Unless someone opens the PRTG dashboard and gets to know about it.

So, how could we resolve this ? Is there any setting in PRTG which force the Failover node to check with the Master.. and see if the Master is not having Internet connection, the Failover Node starts sending emails on behalf of Master.

Thanks !

cluster email-notifications prtg

Created on May 22, 2021 12:40:59 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid this is not possible. The Failover Node will only take over the master-role if the failover cannot reach the actual master anymore (either there's no connection to the master or the PRTG services of the master are stopped). As long as the connection can be established, the failover will stay failover - I'm afraid this behavior cannot be changed.

Created on May 25, 2021 10:09:10 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.