What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

on my windows PRTG env, how can I monitor "real" linux memory?

Votes:

I found https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/9973-how-to-correctly-monitor-linux-real-memory-usage

which looks like it would solve my problem if I was running PRTG on a linux box but my PRTG is monitoring from Windows. In Linux, all available "free" memory is usually taken to buffer hard disk access. The result is, that the "free real memory" SNMP OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.6.0) tells PRTG, that there is only some 10 or 20 MB available. Is there a way to implement this solution within PRTG that is monitoring from a windows to all my Linux servers?

linux memorysensor prtg

Created on May 25, 2021 5:23:15 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

The KB-Post you reference is rather old and in the meantime, there were some changes to both the"SSH Meminfo Sensor" and the "SNMP Linux Meminfo Sensor", that should reflect the "real" memory usage just fine.

Please try out the mentioned sensors and check if they work for you.

Kind Regards,
Matthias Kupfer - Team Tech Support

Created on May 27, 2021 7:35:40 AM by  Matthias Kupfer [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.