What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to split the Core Server and Local Probe apart?

Votes:

I need to move the Core Server installation to a new machine that's at a different site than it currently is. I know how to migrate it, but I need to the keep the local probe service on the old server running as a remote probe once the server is migrated. Is it possible to keep just the probe running without having to delete everything being monitored on that probe and start over?

core-server local-probe migration

Created on Jun 8, 2021 8:59:47 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding the local probe, I'm afraid that it will be automatically uninstalled with the Core server. There is no possibility to convert it in remote probe.

However, when your PRTG server is fully migrated, you can install a remote probe on the old server and then move the groups/devices from the local probe to the remote probe. To do so, you can use the Management tab above the device tree.

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Jun 9, 2021 12:48:44 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 10, 2021 5:11:44 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So, to make sure I understand correctly, once I migrate the Server to the new machine, I completely uninstall PRTG from the old machine, reinstall the Remote Probe only, and then inside the Management tab I can just move everything back to the original machine and that probe will then continue to monitor everything at that location like it was doing previously?

Created on Jun 9, 2021 2:34:02 PM

Votes:

Exactly, the local probe on the new server will have the devices configured on it however you need to move them on the remote probe.

To make sure that there is any issue, please make sure that the credentials are properly configured at the probe level (if they were configured there for the local probe and inherited by the objects). If you have custom sensors such as scripts or REST template, you must make sure that the corresponding files are migrated on the remote probe as well.

Regards.

Created on Jun 10, 2021 5:21:35 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.