What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Receiving messages via sensors

Votes:

I have a question about receiving different types of messages/data formats on PRTG.

PRTG has sensors that collect large amount of messages, for example the syslog and SNMP trap receiver sensors.

I was wondering if there are sensors that allow PRTG to process html, XML, json or other data formats in a sensor. We are trying to find a way to forward messages from one system to PRTG, and we need to decide on how we want to transform those messages. Maybe the python script sensor is an option? I am looking for any viable method.

data-colletor sensor syslog

Created on Jun 11, 2021 2:10:08 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

When you have specific data that can't be monitored with basic sensors, you can effectively use the custom sensors available in PRTG such as REST Custom, EXE/Script, EXE/Scrip Advanced and Python Script Advanced sensor.

In that case, you must make sure that the data returned by the script(s) in PRTG follow the structure described in this manual: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/custom_sensors

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Jun 14, 2021 8:56:42 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.