What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Juniper MX104 Router SNMP Sensors Difficulties

Votes:

I am working on a project with requirements of creating PRTG sensors to monitor router interfaces status including in/out throughput, error rate and interface status (up/down).

I can do snmpwalk to scan the interfaces and it returns results.

But I am struggling creating PRTG sensors and have tried SNMP Traffic/JFlow v5/JFlow v5 (custom)/SNMP Library(download the Juniper MIB online for Interfaces)/SNMP custom/SNMP custom table.

None of above worked for me.

BTW, we also have Solarwinds and Splunk, no issues with this at all.

Please advise.

juniper prtg snmp-sensor

Created on Jun 23, 2021 1:46:44 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Did you use our SNMP Tester to query the target device?
Are you able to add the SNMP Traffic sensor to the device, or do you get a error? If so, what error do you get?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 28, 2021 7:02:03 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi @Sasa, Thanks for your reply.

I did use SNMP Tester and was able to do snmpwalk to poll 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1 data from the routers, also able to use Custom OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.553 to poll required interface details as well.

But I am not able to setup any PRTG sensors even with SNMP Custom/Table, Error -2011.

I have been checking/confirming the settings for weeks and made sure they are all accurate.

What is also strange is that I am not able to capture any SNMP request coming out from PRTG using Wireshark. - I am able to capture other SNMP traffic from PRTG except for these two IP addresses.

Firewall shows no SNMP traffic either, and I am able to ping or ICMP monitoring the routers via PRTG>

We are paid license customer and username email is [email protected].

Please advise.

Created on Jun 29, 2021 6:05:57 AM

Votes:

Hello Bowen,

What SNMP version is configured in the device?
What PRTG version are you using?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 30, 2021 7:42:13 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.