What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IPMI for HP Proliant DL20

Votes:

Hi, I'm trying to add IPMI sensor for my HP servers, i cannot add them to PRTG. I've enabled IPMI setting from the HP iLo side, when i try to add in PRTG it is giving below error. "The IPMI is not available. (Code:PE220)

I've also tried testing IPMI through below but cannot work for me, please guide i need to add IPMI sensor for approx 150 servers.

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System>ipmiutil health -N IPADDRESS  -U USERNAME -P PASSWORD -F lan2 -V 3
ipmiutil ver 2.96
ihealth ver 2.96
Connecting to node  IPADDRESS
ipmilan_open_session error, rv = -15
ipmilan BMC only supports lan v2
Opening lanplus connection to node IPADDRESS
LANPLUS error in RAKP1
Error: Unable to establish IPMI v2 / RMCP+ session
ipmi_open_lan2 error -1
ipmi_open error = -1
ipmiutil health, error -1

I've also tried below commands but it doesn't connect..

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System>Ipmiutil.exe health -N
IPADDRESS -F lan2 - U USERNAME -P PASSWORD
ipmiutil ver 2.96
ihealth ver 2.96
Opening lanplus connection to node IPADDRESS ...
LANPLUS error in RAKP1
Error: Unable to establish IPMI v2 / RMCP+ session
ipmi_open_lan2 error -1
ipmiutil health, error -1

Kindly advise how to fix this problem ? My iLO version of HP Proliant is already updated to latest.

ipmi ipmi-sensor ipmi-system-health ipmiutil

Created on Jun 23, 2021 8:28:28 AM

Last change on Jun 23, 2021 4:43:30 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

According to the results, your device uses IPMI v2, however our sensor only supports IPMI v1. This is the reason why you are not able to add the sensor. We are looking at updating the sensor to support IPMI v2 as well, however we do not yet have a ETA for this.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 28, 2021 7:12:51 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Thanks for the response, do you have any alternative solution ? As we have to get IPMI sensor details for 150 servers, any alternative would be highly appreciated.

Created on Jun 28, 2021 9:59:05 AM

Votes:

Unfortunately, we do not have a workaround for this. Perhaps you can create a script that will retrieve the needed data. In this case you could run the script using our Exe/Script Advanced sensor.

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 28, 2021 10:27:18 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'll try this script and come back to you, Thanks.. I need the data from FAN speed and temperature, hope script will fulfil my requirement. Let me try

Created on Jun 28, 2021 10:35:57 AM

Votes:

One favor if you have a powershell for HP servers ?

Created on Jun 29, 2021 2:36:24 AM

Votes:

Unfortunately, we do not have a script for monitoring IPMI v2.

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 29, 2021 5:29:21 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.