What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Use desktop device tool to trigger a (custom) notification

Votes:

Hi,

We use the custom notification http post to create tickets in our ticket system. It would be so helpful if I somehow could trigger this custom notification manually on any sensor.

I'm mainly using the desktop tool and noticed the device tool, where I could create a script. But I would prefer the already configured custom notification.

Is this is not a option, I would like to use the device tool with a workaround script.

Any help would be vey much appreciated!

custom-notification device-tool http-post

Created on Jun 24, 2021 1:23:21 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

If the custom template is configured to be executed when a sensor is in Down state, then you can simulate a error on a sensor to trigger the custom notification. This can also be done in the PRTG Desktop app, by going right click on the sensor and selecting "Simulate Error Status".

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 28, 2021 7:29:19 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sasa, Thanks for the quick reply.

I know there is the option to simulate an error and therefore can TEST a notification, but I would like to use it in a different way; I would like to manually trigger a notification when a sensor I actually in error/warning/unusual.

Created on Jun 28, 2021 7:53:07 AM

Votes:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to trigger a notification manually for a sensor that is already in Down state (or to manually trigger the notification for a different state). You can only have this trigger automatically by setting up a state trigger for the sensor, and set a time after which the notification should be executed.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 28, 2021 10:10:30 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.