What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Advance EXEML sensor not getting script result (errors PE231, PE233)

Votes:

Hello, we just moved our PRTG server. Because we were running on pretty old PRTG version, we decided to install PRTG on new server and just manually set up our sensors. We have also few probes where we use Advance XML sensors to monitor our Firebird database. On the probes servers we downloaded new probe installer and installed it over the old probes.

After I set up one of our Advaced XML sensors, it immediately shows error PE233. I checked result log of my sensor and it is empty (altought it is 14 KB big). When I run script manually from Powershell, result is OK and I don't use any input parameters.

Do you guys have any advice what should I check? On old version the script works fine.

exeml powershell prtg

Created on Jun 28, 2021 8:30:03 AM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please let me know whether the correct script output was displayed in the result file from your Sensor? If possible, please add the result here.

Thank you in advance!

Created on Jun 30, 2021 11:40:01 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, thanks for you reply. Result file (located in Logs\sensors) is empty. When I open file in notepad it is 14 lines filled randomly with spaces.

Created on Jun 30, 2021 11:51:13 AM

Votes:

Follow up:

script is pretty simple for now : Write-Host "<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8"" ?>" Write-Host "<prtg>" Write-Host "<error>1</error>" Write-Host "<text>$($Error[0])</text>" Write-Host "</prtg>"

Created on Jun 30, 2021 11:56:49 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the update.

It seems like that the script is not working correctly. Please run the script in 32bit Powershell to check whether this works in 32bit.

Created on Jul 2, 2021 10:21:02 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, thanks for reply.

I am running the script in Powershell (32bit) and script is working fine (it prints whole XML from my previous example).

Created on Jul 12, 2021 10:19:37 AM

Votes:

Hey there,

Please also check whether the script is executed with the same user as you used in the manual test. You can define this in the settings of the sensor.

Created on Jul 12, 2021 1:32:04 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, it should be. Sensor had checked option Use Windows credentials of parent device.

And on Root group I have filled Credentials for Windows Systems with my current user account (the same Im testing script on). Is there any way how to check, the credentials are right? I think it is right, but just for check.

Created on Jul 14, 2021 11:27:34 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

you can enable the option "Write Results" in the settings tab of the Sensor. This will create additional logs in the data directory of PRTG: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/463-how-and-where-does-prtg-store-its-data

Created on Jul 19, 2021 6:29:19 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I have already enabled the option "Write Results", but the log file is empty.

Created on Jul 26, 2021 12:35:40 PM

Votes:

If the log file is created but empty, the Sensor is executed but the script does not deliver any result. Another possible option would be that a security software blocks the Probe service to execute the script as a child-process.

Created on Jul 27, 2021 1:13:12 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for all advice.

At the end, the problem was in the Write-Host command. I used Write-Output '<prtg>' instead and script started working again

Created on Jul 29, 2021 10:41:56 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.