What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Trying to add EXE/script Advanced senor

Votes:

Hello all, i am trying to add "transeiverstatusssh.exe" custom sensor in PRTG to monitor dBm power on transceivers.

On the probe server, i did perform the step of copying .exe file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML".

But i have to copy .OVL file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\custom" , but it does not exist on the probe server, only on the core server.

Should i create this subdirectory on the probe server or else ? PRTG version is 19.3.51.2830.

administration tools. PRTG version is 19.3.51.2830.

Thanks for help. Regards.

custom-sensors exe-sensor monitoring

Created on Jul 5, 2021 7:39:19 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

The lookups do not need to be copied to the probe host. The lookup only needs to be copied to the path you mentioned on the PRTG core server.

Once you have copied the lookup to the custom folder you may need to load it into PRTG for it to show up. You can do this by going to Setup>System Administration>Administrative Tools and click on Go! under "Load Lookups and File Lists"

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 5, 2021 7:48:35 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sasa, i did as you said and now i can add this custom sensor to the device, thanks for solution.

But i realise it just give me a status of the dBm power on RX for Te1/0/1, not the actual dBm value.

At least, the embedded sensors of the "vendor_CISCO" family are working better for my desires, but in this case the TX dBm power is not shown and only Te1/0/1 is discovered by PRTG, not Te1/0/2.

Is there more "accurate" sensors in PRTG to monitor both RX and TX power on Te1/0/1 and Te1/0/2 transceivers ?

I tried to find OID from CISCO mib but i did not succeed ..

Thanks and regards.

Created on Jul 5, 2021 8:46:45 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I would recommend to get in touch with the vendor Cisco here. They have more detailed knowledge about their SNMP setup and what OIDs are fitting for your needs here.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 5, 2021 10:36:07 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, i will do so , i am still wondering how the embedded sensors from "vendors_CISCO" family are working.. Anyway, thanks for reply, i will asked Cisco for help. Regards.

Created on Jul 5, 2021 10:43:28 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.