What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Where can I find the GID of an existing Remote Probe if restoring a computer

Votes:

One the computers I am monitoring experienced a hard drive failure. I need to reinstall the prtg probe on this computer. I want to connect the freshly installed probe to the original instance in the server. I know I need to replace the GID in the service with the GID it had before. Where can I find the GID it had before? Is that stored on the server somewhere?

gid probe recover

Created on Sep 16, 2010 11:54:01 PM

Last change on Feb 18, 2019 2:09:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Laurie,

the GID of a Probe is stored in the configuration file "PRTG Configuration.dat" on the PRTG Core Server (see How and where does PRTG store its data?). You can open this XML-File with any editor and then simply search for the exact name of the probe, without the content from the brackets "(... Probe on ...)". Please see the following example:

<name>
                  Local probe
                </name>
                <ownerid>
                </ownerid>
                <position>
                </position>
                <priority>
                </priority>
                <probegid>
                  {E014D5DB-08D9-49BC-8298-AF37EA363F8A}

Created on Sep 17, 2010 1:02:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has this changed since Sep. 2010? I can't seem to find the probe configs in the PRTG Configuration.dat files. I only find two <probegid> objects and I think they are cluster members, not remote probes.

Created on Sep 26, 2013 4:00:58 PM

Votes:

I ended up finding my old GID in the log file from the original probe and that worked great pulling down the old config from the Core, but had that log also been wiped out, an alternative would be most welcome.

Created on Sep 26, 2013 5:02:01 PM

Votes:

The property is still named probegid in the XML of the configuration file. If the Probe is deleted though, you may need to look into an Automatic Backup of the configuration file.

Created on Sep 26, 2013 6:18:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

how exactly is the name of the configuration file and where is it stored?

Created on Feb 2, 2016 3:49:21 PM

Votes:

It's explained in the first answer in this thread: "...the configuration file "PRTG Configuration.dat" on the PRTG Core Server (see How and where does PRTG store its data?)."

Created on Feb 3, 2016 9:02:41 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.