What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Highs CPU for PowerShell sensor

Votes:

Hi,

I have a custom sensor running a powershell script on my prtg server. The purpose of the script is to query a Hyper-V cluster for machine status since we do not have SCVVM.

The way it is written is that PRTG calls a runner script that starts another script that does the information gathering. The reason is that the second script can be updated without restarting prtg.

I have also written it so that only one query regarding one specific sensor gathers data from the cluster, it then stores information in a csv. All other sensors only checks this csv.

Manual runs of this script gives immediate results but when prtg runs it each query takes about 30 seconds and the cpu goes to 100%.

This results in constant alarms from the system health check.

Any advice on how to

cpu powershell prtg

Created on Jul 9, 2021 8:10:58 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Did you set the sensor to use the Windows credentials set in the parent device, or does it use the security context of the Probe?
We recommend to use the Windows credentials since the Local System account that the probe uses per default may not have sufficient rights.
What is the scanning interval of these sensors?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 14, 2021 6:01:00 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.