What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Exchange sensor

Votes:

Hello everyone, I have a question, in order to use a sensor for Exchange, what kind of privileges do I need? I've been reading in the documentation, that to monitor for example concurrent users, I see in the documentation that I need a user with organization privileges in Exchange. What I need to know if it is possible to limit the privileges of this user and to what level, since in my organization these types of privileges are only held by Exchange administrators.

exchange prtg wmi

Created on Jul 9, 2021 1:24:19 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Thanks for reaching out to us
For all WMI based sensors, you will have to configure windows credentials in order to operate.
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/device_settings#windows_credentials

We always recommend using at least domain admin credentials to avoid getting problems resulting in WMI sensors ceasing to function with very vague error messages and unpredictable and unsupportable phenomenons. This is just how Windows is designed.

For more information here is a guide on how to implement and troubleshoot WMI sensors just like the one you try to install https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1043-my-wmi-sensors-don-t-work-what-can-i-do

"The user whose credentials are specified for monitoring WMI is a member of the Domain Administrators group in the same Active Directory as the target computer. If a target computer is outside of a domain, the user has to be a member of the local Administrators group and of the DCOM group, and of the Performance Monitoring group on this machine."

Cheers:
Luis

Created on Jul 19, 2021 9:57:44 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.