What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Vertiv Geist Watch 100p not working in PRTG - bad MIB?

Votes:

We've had a IT watchdog 100p running for a long time and it used to work in PRTG. However, after several acquisitions of WatchDogs (by Geist and Vertiv), the MIB's changed and broke. I've loaded the latest Watchdog firmware (3.4.0). We're running PRTG 21.2.68.1492+. I have tried importing the latest MIB file using PRTG's converter to create the oidlib file.

Looking through the MIB file, it lists the following for internal temp:
internalTemp 1.3.6.1.4.1.21239.5.1.2.1.5 read-only Integer32(-40..200)

But if I run an SNMP tester, that OID does not exist. If I add .1 to the end (to create the OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.21239.5.1.2.1.5.1) then I get a result, eg: 785.

I tried editing the oidlib file that the PRTG converter by changing the source OID field and adding the .1, but that did not make a difference.

I can manually create a sensor, but it's clumsy and I'd hate to have to do this for each sensor across multiple units.

What am I missing

geist mib snmp

Created on Jul 9, 2021 10:08:21 PM

Last change on Jul 12, 2021 7:55:02 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us.

Is it possible to verify this MIB directly from the vendor? To make sure you get the latest version from them and then we can try it with the SNMP tester to see if that makes a difference.

Let me know how it goes.

Miguel Aikens

Created on Jul 12, 2021 11:27:16 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi Miguel, the MIB file was downloaded from the device itself. In it's default state the SNMP tester seems to work in that I can use the "Scan OIDLIB" option with the file converted with the MIB Importer (no changes made) and it returns what I would expect - those OID's that have data are being read. Not all OID's have data as the MIB includes info for optional hardware that I do not have installed.

EG - the following is for internal temp and the result should be 78.6 °F:

• 7/14/2021 11:19:42 AM Oidscan: GEIST-V4-MIB|internal: #[1.3.6.1.4.1.21239.5.1.2.1.1]|internal temp|| 1.3.6.1.4.1.21239.5.1.2.1.5
  • 7/14/2021 11:19:42 AM Oidscan: .1 786

I do not see a means of attaching screen snips (or MIB or OIDLIB files). I was going to show you the sensor selection screen. When I go through the Add Sensor > Custom Sensors > SNMP Library > Geist-watchdog.oidlib I see a list of sensors starting with the following:

• Library OIDs
  • Search...
  • MIB Module Category Name
  • GEIST-V4-MIB air flow sensor: 1 air flow sensor dew point
  • GEIST-V4-MIB air flow sensor: 1 air flow sensor humidity
  • GEIST-V4-MIB air flow sensor: 1 air flow sensor flow
  • GEIST-V4-MIB air flow sensor: 1 air flow sensor temp

When I select the sensors I'd like and click create, most are not created.

Actually, I just noticed that two sensors are created, and they have multiple channels but they're displaying raw numbers. EG: I have an "internal dew point" sensor with channels for dew point, humidity, temp, io1, and io2. The range is approx. 0 - 800. And the units are #.

Created on Jul 14, 2021 4:48:53 PM

Votes:

I will send you an email shortly to continue working on this.

Created on Jul 15, 2021 8:29:29 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.