What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My Event Log (Windows API) sensors fail after installing Windows updates. What can I do?

Votes:

After installing the latest Windows updates, my Event Log (Windows API) sensors do not work anymore. They show the error messages Access Denied, Code:5, or 1314 a required privilege is not held by the client. What can I do?

event-log prtg windows-api windows-update

Created on Jul 14, 2021 6:43:30 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Jan 5, 2023 8:45:30 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Workaround for the Event Log (Windows API) sensor issue

Event Log (Windows API) sensors might not work anymore after Windows updates of June 2021 because of security hardening changes for the Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) that relate to the security vulnerability issue CVE-2021-31958. For more information on this issue, see https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2021-31958.

The Event Log (Windows API) sensor will be deprecated. Please use the WMI Event Log sensor instead, which provides the same functionalities.

Created on Jul 14, 2021 6:57:11 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Dec 29, 2022 2:53:20 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.